Sunday, March 8, 2009

Back on Track

Just finished my major shop for "Eating Down the Fridge" week, and I've already learned:
  • More than I care about using up my (meager) ingredients, I don't want to cook/prepare 42 meals in the next week. Suddenly I realize I won't be giving D.J. a few dollars or two every other day to buy her own GVMS "out lunch," and I won't be going to the salad bar, either. Drag. Not sure where Ms. O'Donnel figured the preparation part into the mix, but this is already way more work than I anticipated.
  • I only have meat, chicken really, for one meal, not including eggs. Two tops.
  • I already have to start baking.
  • I envision buying berries tomorrow, 'cause I never made it to the shop I wanted to go to, and ended up at the lesser quality store, simply because it was closer. Frankly, with a slew more sex acts to go in my WT69 situation, it's lucky I made it there at all.
  • Similarly, I wasn't able to go to the liquor store, so there will surely be a purchase of wine this week. The sooner the better, 'cause I'm not that into Calvados.
  • I have a very limited cooking repertoire. I do have three dinners planned in my mind, which could possibly stretch to six, despite D.J. often refusing leftovers: Amandina's (D.J.'s cool sitter) fantastic recipe for macaroni and cheese; Deliciously Italian's Zuppa di Pasta e Fagioli, 'cause I wasn't in love with the recipe my sister sent me (thanks, though, but I think any number of Italians might balk at the idea of putting in pinto and/or split peas, which I don't like anyway, to their Pasta e Fagioli); and one recipe my sister suggested that I did like: Ms. O'Donnel's "Mom's Chicken With Rice," adapted from West Coast Cooking.
  • If I stick to this challenge, I will probably save money.
  • If I stick to this challenge, I will probably lose weight.
All good food for thought, but tonight, I'm going to order in. I'll start my 42 meals tomorrow. Let's see: Breakfast—oatmeal with raisins and syrup, fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice, toast for D.J. Totally doable. Lunch—apples with cheese cubes...? I'm screwed.

9 comments:

  1. Don't knock the Pasta e Fagioli recipe until you try it. Bean types and proportions are flexible. And how good can Pasta e Fagioli be anyway? I am auditing the challenge. Yesterday I made split pea soup with a smoked turkey leg that had been languishing in my freezer. It was so
    spring-like in Washington yesterday that I went to my favorite Farmers Market (Takoma Park) for the first time since November. It was a little
    early - the only local produce was lettuce and mushrooms and apples from the fall (still much better than the supermarket apples I've been
    buying). They had two new purveyors since fall one of bison and the other of milk, including orange, chocolate, vanilla and root beer
    flavored whole milk, none of which I tried. Wish I could taste your palmiers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That soup can be really good, and they even had a great one at that Italian place you and Tom loved on Bleecker near 6th Avenue, which later L. said was not really Italian. Nevertheless, I used to buy the green minestrone, and thorn-in-my-side would get the Pasta e Fagioli, but then I'd usually eat his instead of mine. The one I make is a bit thin, but good. The palmiers are long gone, and they weren't as crispy the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brings back nice memories. Send me your recipe (or post it). I had an apricot hamentaschen yesterday for Purim. It was not very good (undoubtedly made with kosher shortening of some kind) but satisfying in a Proustian way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom said she was going to send me a hamentaschen recipe. Is this hers originally? Do you remember her making them? If so, that would be a very good IF recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zuppa di Pasta e Fagioli, by Federico Moramarco and Stephen Moramarco (Irreverent Family?), "Deliciously Italian"

    Prepare one cup cook tubetti or any tube-shaped pasta and set aside.

    In heavy pot over medium to high heat, cook 2 T. olive oil, 1 sliced garlic clove, and 1 leaf chopped fresh basil. Add 9 ounces drained (canned) cannellini beans, and cook for 1 minute (or a bit more). Add 4 cups chicken broth (though this is where it gets too thin, so maybe add 3 cups...?), 1/2 cup marinara sauce, 1 T. butter, and 2 pinches each salt and pepper to taste. Cook 5-8 minutes, until boiling. Add tubetti, and stir for 1 minute. Serve immediately with hot hearty Italian bread.

    It's very simple and pretty delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll try the soup recipe. I wonder if you could cook the pasta in the soup (as opposed to adding them already cooked), as in the recipe I gave
    you - it makes it infused with the soup. I don't much like prepared marinara sauce (it always has an off-taste to me), but I could substitute plain tomato sauce. I don't remember Mom ever making hamentaschen. I buy them at a Jewish-style bakery or, as with last night's, at our Temple, which sells them in large quantities in many flavors before Purim. Last night we went to a latke-hamentaschen debate them, which included some material suitable for your employer, but so subtle it probably went over the kids' heads. However, it made me consider hamentaschen in a whole new light.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny! You don't have to use prepared marinara. I just happen to have some here for use for my EDF. Also, the soup is not over-the-top amazing. I like it cause I think it's simple and soothing.
    P.S. Did you know that the current Chicago Manual of Style now calls for only one space after a period, colon, etc.?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a weird way to communicate! Maybe we should be twittering. I'll tell you about hamentaschen possibilities off-line.
    PS I didn't know that. That is the Federal Register rule, but I've been preserving the two spaces everywhere else. Maybe I'll switch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alright. Maybe that's enough then. I don't want to be a twit(terer) at all. I was hoping there might be a bit more drama in the comments, to make them book friendly for later on. Maybe you should link this to E.

    ReplyDelete