Monday, February 23, 2009

Grandma Piggyback's Brownie Pie

There is a photograph of a New York City grande dame-type woman in an early Diane Arbus book that could be my Grandma Piggyback. It's a bedroom shot that's all gold hair and sheer granny nightgown and robe, satin-like bedspread, long cylindrical pillows, and so forth. Henrietta was old school, old world, Upper West Side, and then Upper East Side. She loved beauty and art and culture and "young people," and they adored her, too, supposedly. Ultimately, she may have preferred style over substance, but I think she would have really gushed over D.J., who, of course, has both.

When my sisters and I were little, we used to get long painful splinters in our feet running up and down her huge foyer, and her apartment had that grandmother-distinctive smell that never changed, no matter what she was cooking. She was famous for her brisket (didn't eat it then), her chopped chicken liver (no way), her French toast (which I've already covered), and her roasted potatoes, among other things. My cousins and sisters and I used to have contests at the children's table to see who could eat the most roasted potatoes—the winners of which, I might add, seemed to always find the Afikoman as well. But if those potatoes weren't on my original 10-most-favorite food list, they should have been.

I've never had a very good memory of my childhood, but I think Henrietta taught me how to bake, or at least I remember, kind of, watching her perfectly manicured hands sifting the flour or melting the chocolate or mixing the dough. In any event, though I'm pretty sure she received, as well as doled out, any number of hard knocks, she also definitely made Brownie Pie.

My mother unearthed Grandma Piggyback's simple recipe a number of years ago. There is no crust here, flaky or otherwise. And it's not quite a brownie, though not not a brownie, and the whole thing is so delicious and refined, it's good plain (not too warm, though), or with vanilla ice cream, and then even, if you're so inclined, further topped with the seriously fabulous L.'s Strawberry Compote. Excellent results pretty much guaranteed.

GRANDMA PIGGYBACK'S BROWNIE PIE

simple and elegant,
makes two


2 sticks butter
3 ounces bitter chocolate
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 scant cup sifted flour
2 heaping teaspoons vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour 2 9-inch pie pans.

Melt butter and chocolate in double boiler. Set aside.

In large mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Add melted butter and chocolate mixture, and flour. Stir in vanilla.

Pour into pans, dividing batter evenly. Bake 30 minutes.


L.'S STRAWBERRY COMPOTE

makes an evening's worth, or more,
measurements to taste

1 pint fresh strawberries
lemon juice
a little sugar
a little Limoncello, or even white wine will do

Rinse strawberries and cut into fairly small oblong pieces, about 10 or 12 pieces per strawberry. Collect in a bowl, and add the juice of about 1/2 to 1 lemon, maybe a Tablespoon or two of sugar, and a dash or so of Limoncello. Stir well. Taste, and adjust flavorings if necessary (not too sweet, not too tart). Let sit in refrigerator for at least an hour.

Note: Make sure when you present it atop vanilla ice cream—and that, my friends, is a you-can't-believe-how-good-it-is must—that you include both the fruit and the liquid on each serving, to get the full, beautiful creamy pink color effect.

10 comments:

  1. HOLY CRAP MOM!!!!! YOU SO CAN NOT PUT GREAT GRANDMA PIGGYBACKS BROWNIE PIE RECIPE ON HERE! THAT IS INSANITY!!!!! OMG I AM SO MAD!!!!

    EVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interestingly, I connect the brownie pie with Mom, not Grandma P. It's great with vanilla ice cream - I'm not sure I'd like it with strawberry
    sauce [who is L?] Grandma made many great desserts including sponge cake, lemon chiffon pie, and fudgy macaroons (all for Passover) and
    cheesecake. I very occasionally make her chopped chicken liver (2 chicken livers, 2 eggs, lots of onions, and lots of chicken fat -basically liver and onion flavored chicken fat). I remember her brisket fondly, but have switched to my mother-in-law's version (different cut of meat and no tomatoes or peppers) and now prefer it. It's worth mentioning that Grandma had servants at her big Thanksgiving and Passover dinners (which always bothered me) but she did the cooking or
    at least supervised it so closely that it was as if she did. It's also worth mentioning that our other grandmother, who was an extremely nurturing person, hardly cooked at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why it posts like that, but in any event, maybe you're right about the brownie pie. I never imagine Mom making it. I do remember "servants," at G.P.'s, though not called by that name, and also the sponge cake and lemon chiffon pie, though I would not try that. Our other grandmother taught me how to sew, knit, and play solitaire, and we watched "The Secret Storm" together.
    L. is another story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't remember whether it was lemon chiffon cake or pie, but whichever, I loved it. Grandma T taught me to play Solitaire too. I remember watching the Ed Sullivan show with her and also watching the ball drop at New Year's. The only thing I remember her cooking is lox and eggs. My other culinary memories of her are of "wet rye bread" (corn bread) from the Wykagil Deli near her apartment in New Rochelle and Hero black cherry jam, which I still occasionally buy in memory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that the two sisters bond over fond memories stimulated by the baking of very rich brownies or lemoned strawberries. What a good site/idea Jenny! xo s

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenny-- I love your blog! Makes me hungry. I wish middle age didn't make me feel like sweets were bad.. I love cake!

    cathy and i have been looking for the best gingerbread recipe for years. She'll probably disagree, because she is a staunch Laurie Colwin fan-- but someone gave me this recipe and I love it. Feel free to post if you like. Gingerbread is my favorite of all cakes:

    GRAMERCY TAVERN GINGERBREAD
    Active time: 20 min Start to finish: 1 3/4 hr

    1 cup oatmeal stout or Guinness Stout
    1 cup dark molasses (not blackstrap)
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 tablespoons ground ginger
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    Pinch of ground cardamom
    3 large eggs
    1 cup packed dark brown sugar
    1 cup granulated sugar
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    Confectioners sugar for dusting

    Special equipment: a 10-inch (10- to 12-cup) bundt pan
    Accompaniment: unsweetened whipped cream

    Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously butter bundt pan and dust with flour, knocking out excess.
    Bring stout and molasses to a boil in a large saucepan and remove from heat. Whisk in baking soda, then cool to room temperature.

    Sift together flour, baking powder, and spices in a large bowl. Whisk together eggs and sugars. Whisk in oil, then molasses mixture. Add to flour mixture and whisk until just combined.

    Pour batter into bundt pan and rap pan sharply on counter to eliminate air bubbles. Bake in middle of oven until a tester comes out with just a few moist crumbs adhering, about 50 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a rack 5 minutes. Turn out onto rack and cool completely.

    Serve cake, dusted with confectioners sugar, with whipped cream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. whoops! i didn't know that would end up posting like that-- If you don't like the recipe, you can delete, but I hope you do... emily

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, E! Sorry you came in at the end of the whole thing...Do feel free to send any more original or recommended recipes, though, and make sure to ask George for any favorite family treats as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will try Emily's gingerbread recipe, but I can't believe it will be better than Laurie Colwin's gingerbread made with Steen's cane syrup, glazed with Silver Palate lemon glaze, and preferably served with warm homemade applesauce.
    And Emily, do you remember Brownie Pie as Grandma P.'s or Mom's?

    ReplyDelete