Thursday, April 16, 2009

Restaurant Interview Epilogue

Not to be completely undone post my b.s. interview, after cleaning up my crazed dessert house, I decided I could not let all those pretty treats go to professional waste. So I approached the owner of the gourmet take-out place across the street, who agreed to see them, but when I assembled and then delivered my third dessert sampler of the day, he seemed stunned.

He said that he liked the box just as is (meaning my combo one bread pudding; two chocolate/chocolate cupcakes, with a hint of pink sprinkles on top; and four sugar cookies, two with raspberry jam and two without), and I had a mini Susan Boyle moment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY). He then added more compliments even, saying it was the best home-baked sample he'd ever seen. But I was pushing the bread pudding, 'cause they have leftover bread there every day, I think it's the most delicious of the bunch, and is the cheapest, easiest, and fastest to make (though I really wouldn't want him heating it up in the microwave).

So now I'm waiting for the taste test results, and in the meantime, I figured out the mathematics of the possible exchange (must confirm with Chef Nola), and I've got several figures in mind, each one making me a profit. One glitch: I'm only guessing how many bread puddings the full recipe makes (from which I've calculated serving size in both weight and price), but I've erred on the side of caution, and the price is still reasonable for him, even if he sells the goods at one hundred percent markup.

Of course I realize this is all in my head right now, and he could not like the pudding (hardly), or think he could make it cheaper himself (he could), because he decides my prices are too high (I'm not lowering them). My mother told me not to quit my day job (thanks, Mom!), not realizing that that's a big part of what this is all about.

Meanwhile, I'm at a loss for what to do with twenty-four delicious but misshapen unfrosted chocolate cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment