Saturday, February 28, 2009

Afterthought

Okay, I think the Village bakery on Greenwich Avenue, the one recently in the news due to those hideous racist Obama inaugural cookies that prompted the secret service to make a special trip there, might be using the same recipe we used today to make our Danish pastry dough. That sweet hole-in-the-wall white-sugar bakery on 8th Avenue near 14th Street might be using it, too. There's a similar aesthetic going on—good, but not a lotta finesse. (Don't get me wrong. I've bought the spicy Mexican chicken empanada at the 8th Avenue place more than once or twice. Excellent.)

And I'm very proud of my Danish pinwheel stuffed with lemon cream cheese filling. I really enjoyed learning how to build that dough, something I've always wanted to do. But I think I want to try a different recipe. The first thing I thought of when I ate one of my pastries was 1) this is really good and fun to look at, and 2) this tastes like that bakery on Greenwich Avenue! Darn!
  • Q: What is the difference between Danish pastry dough and puff pastry?
  • A: Puff pastry dough has no yeast.
  • Q: What is the difference between Jenny and a Danish pastry right now?
  • A: Not much.

No comments:

Post a Comment